Thursday, November 10, 2011

Cliopatria’s History Blogroll – an absence in the presence…

It’s been a week already that I’ve been trying to get to Cliopatria’s Blogroll, but it just turns out to be impossible for me. “Server not found” was the label I’ve been seeing those days and I really got used to it. I’m quite sure that after one week, when I don’t need the site so desperately, it will magically appear. But yes, these are just one of the surprises which the Web can offer us. In the following, I’d like to mention some of my favorite blogs, which unfortunately, I don’t know if they exist in the Cliopatria’Blogroll. Most of them are focused on women’s, gender and feminism history, because that is the field in which I’m highly interested.

The first one is Women of History. I especially like it, because it gives very interesting information about notable, (or not so much) women’s historical figures and thus unveils more and more women’s history. It’s a clear attempt to make them part f the mainstream history.

The second one is – Clio talks back. This is the Karen Offen’s blog - a famous women’s historian. The blog suggests different articles, concerning women’s history. According me, it is an example for a real professional historical blog, because its author is regarded as an “authority” in the field.

The third one is, unfortunately in Bulgarian. It looks like a feminist blog is more focused on the present situation. It analyzes women’s situation in the contemporary world, in particular in the popular culture. Its main goal is to urge for women’s empowerment.

I have to admit that I have never been interested in Bulgarian historical blogs. The main reason is that most of them suffer from painful nationalist ideas and obsessed beliefs to represent Bulgaria as the oldest, the most important and the richest culture in Europe (because the country was founded in 681 AD and survived after 500 years of Ottoman dominance). I decided to check out the Bulgarian historical blogs. Well, I cannot say that I face something different from what I was expecting. Most of the blogs are related with either the Bulgarian glorious past or they are victimizing the country, trying to demonstrate how misunderstood or “cheated” by fake friends Bulgaria was. My intentions here are not to criticize those blogs, but I’m afraid that they continue to represent only the mainstream, political history. Social history is still absent.

No comments:

Post a Comment